A PROMINENT footy journalist has accused the AFL of bullying and “disgraceful” behaviour after printing a bold column last week.
Plus Wayne Carey slams the MRP for double standards, Chris Judd’s plan to revive State of Origin and Alan Richardson on the futures of two Saints veterans.
It’s all in your Tuesday edition of AFL Media Watch!
‘I WAS BEING BULLIED BY THE AFL’
FAIRFAX journalist Caroline Wilson has accused the AFL of bullying and “disgraceful” behaviour after last week naming the two women involved in the AFL executive affair scandal.
Wilson on Friday chose to name the two females caught up in the affairs with now former AFL executives Simon Lethlean and Richard Simkiss in a column in The Age, claiming no complaint had been made at the league’s headquarters yet.
Hours after going to print, AFL chief executive Gillon McLachlan had accepted the resignations of both Lethlean and Simkiss before telling Triple M a day later: “I am not sure why it is relevant (to name the women) and the people who do it have got to own their own behaviours.”
Wilson told Channel 9’s Footy Classified on Monday night that she found it extraordinary the AFL would “turn on anyone in the media, given the behaviours within their own office” last week.
“The AFL handled this appallingly, let’s say to start off, during the week. They belittled the original story in the Herald Sun, they belittled the journo, said it was a rubbish story when clearly it was not a rubbish story at all — it rocked the very foundations of headquarters,” Wilson said.
LISTEN TO THE LATEST FOX FOOTY PODCAST BELOW, OR TAP HERE TO SUBSCRIBE IN ITUNES
“They kept saying to me that no complaint had been made, that there was no woman in any form of victim role here.
“I also didn’t realise at the time that I was being bullied by the AFL that they had done a deal with the Herald Sun not to name the women potentially for some other reason. Now, I didn’t know about that and that only…