PARIS (AP) — The Latest on Paris security operation on Champs-Elysees (all times local):
Police have removed the body of a man who died after ramming his car into a police vehicle on Paris’ famed Champs-Elysees, about six hours after the incident that France’s interior minister says was an attempted terror attack.
No one else was injured in the Monday afternoon attack, despite the crowds strolling France’s most famous avenue on a hot, sunny day. Police removed the body from a tent set up on the side of the avenue.
Police forensic teams continued to work around the man’s car, which caught fire following an explosion inside, after it had rammed a van in a police convoy.
Police said the 31-year-old man had been flagged for extremism. France’s anti-terrorism prosecutor has opened an investigation.
French officials say that a man on the radar of authorities has been killed after ramming a car carrying explosives into a police vehicle in Paris’ Champs-Elysees shopping district, prompting a fiery blast. France’s anti-terrorism prosecutor has opened an investigation.
No police officers or passers-by were hurt in the incident Monday afternoon, the Paris police department said. It is unclear why the attacker drove into police, though officials said the incident was apparently deliberate.
Foreign tourists were confused and rattled by a car attack on Paris’ Champs-Elysees — but aren’t letting that deter them from enjoying the City of Light.
A Brazilian couple with son in stroller and grandmother couldn’t understand why they were blocked at the Grand Palais exhibition hall and barred from accessing the Champs-Elysees, where they had walked freely earlier in the day.
They were visibly shocked when informed.
“I’ll go back to my hotel now,” said Alexander Ferreira. He said they were in London shortly after the recent big attack there.
“It’s not safe now, not just in France but in Europe. No one place is safe in the world.”
However, he said the family…